Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Futbol and Coffee Beans, que mas quiere...



It's been a month now in Jinotega. I love the pace of life here. For whatever reason I am able to live more fully in the present than in the States. I would love to be able to find this balance when I come home in a couple weeks.
A week ago some of the guys in our group, Ian and myself went to a central park and played soccer on a basketball court. I remember this always frustrating me in Spain that they would waste a good court for soccer. I don't know if it was the recent World Cup action, or what, but that was one of my favorite days here. The court was wet and puddly, at one point, Ian hooked my plant foot as I was in mid-kick and slammed me down into the concrete court, into a puddle, it was awesome. I haven't played soccer in maybe 8 years, the last time being before I had my first ACL reconstruction in High School. I forgot how much fun it is. I think playing on a hard surface is more fun in a lot of ways, much more fast paced, more like basketball in terms of setting people up for shots. It was great to play with so many Nicaraguans. There were a lot of 8 year oldish aged kids, and I kept running into them and having to catch them in mid-fall.

This past weekend we took a trip up to a FINCA (compound)
called Kilamanjaro. It is a huge coffee plantation. We were able to ride horses (it reminds why as a second grader I wanted to live in South Dakota on a ranch), take in the
scenary including a coffee tour, play some cards, and just relax. It was so beautiful, and the coffee was delicious. It gives me Ganas de bring the MN
rovers here on a trip next summer and chill out on the FINCA. Coffee is a huge industry here in Nicaragua. During peak season 500 workers live and work in the fields. This particular FINCA is certified organic. They grow banana trees to provide shade for the coffee beans to grow. It was also on this trip that I learned how to use different functions on my camera, macro function is amazing. I am able to zoom in so close to the green coffee beans, to the point where you can see every detail of the bug that is chilling on it. The coffee beans are still green right now, when they are red, they are ready to be picked. Each shell needs to be shucked, and I forget how that works, I was having trouble focusing our day of the tour, how could I, would you be able to if you just found out your camera could take ridiculously up close pictures? I didn´t think so.
Our work on the water project is steadily progressing. the other day we hiked in about an 1 hr to the work site. We challenged the Nicaraguans already hard at work to see who could dig the tank the quickest. We split the tank area in half, team Nicaragua, versus team USA. I think the group worked harder than we have ever worked, piochaing (spanglish) and shoveling with a purpose, we still got crushed. It was like putting the Pirates against the Yankees, we was beat when we was kids.
Last week I took a brave bunch of adventurers up to the cross on a morning hike. We left at 4:15 AM for the hike. it took us a little while to find the path up, because the combination of my directional talent and darkness did not bode well for our goal of watching the sunrise in Jinotega. And I don't know if it was the combination of me not sleeping the night before (I can never sleep when I know I have to wake up early, something about my anxiety of sleeping through something important) or my absolute disregard for salt and sugar intake on this trip, but about half way up on the hike I thought I was going to do something I've never done before while exercising, I was about to puke all over that path. Somehow I held it together and made it to the top, to find my faithful morning hikers chilling and enjoying the view they had just earned. I got mad love for all my peeps that chose to rise before the sun to make the hike.
Our group of high schoolers are great. It is an intense experience to be away from home for so long, doing work that most are not accustomed to, and learning to find harmony in a new community of strangers. We have been fortunate to have a group of considerate and genuinely kind young adults. Through the challenging parts of the trip they have picked each other up. They all have a bright future in front of them, and I can only hope this experience will in some way shed light on where that bright future leads them.
I am also so thankful for the group of co-leaders on this trip. While the high schoolers have their support network, I also feel totally supported and safe working with Jon, Ian, Jackie and my fellow Minnesotan Alyson. I think there is no better feeling than finding the comfort to hold nothing of yourself back, and that is how I feel here in our Jinotega VISIONS community.
Another update: I continue to speak in Spanish in my sleep.
On Saturday I missed Joe Gannon and Celeste's Minnesota celebration of their wedding. You were in my thoughts all day. I can't wait to hear the stories and the pictures that accompany them when I get home. I am blessed with the coolest family they is.
I miss and love you all and hope all is well in your part of the world:)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry - "my directional talent " . . . not sure what you meant by this?? . . . I thought we covered that at Wolf Ridge!! - your blogs are great, keep them coming = love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kerry
    Yes your camera is working great. Your photos and the script are wonderful, thanks for sharing this trip with me. Both of my sons went on a Mission trip to a city called Maltrata in Mexico, it is the sister parish of St. Dominic in Northfield. Many of the residents in Northfield came from Maltrata.
    What more could you want than to help others and learn about a new part of the world at the same time.
    Aggie Pavek (golf friend)

    ReplyDelete