Monday, July 12, 2010

Eso es como quiero viajar





Today was a good day. On our way to work today I was overcome with a feeling of appreciation and joy for the experience I have been blessed with here in Jinotega. I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to travel to many places, and I've found that I don't enjoy travelling very much. I love the fun times I have with the people I travel with, but in terms of seeing a new place, somehow it doesn't click with me. It has been on this trip that I can finally pin point the kind of travelling I would like to do in the future. While the Czech Republic was interesting and beautiful, in terms of understanding its culture, it felt like we were on the outside looking in on a little Czech snow globe. We were able to perceive some cultural things, taste some Czech food, but we were still outsiders.
Here in Jinotega I feel the opposite. We have only been here 3 weeks now, and already I feel I am among good friends. Between Victorino's family, the Blandones (our drivers) Darlin (our cook) and Joanna (work volunteer and dance teacher) I am surrounded by loving and friendly people that have welcomed us with open arms in their community. Darlin and Joanna in particular have taught me so many 'dichos' already. My favorite one, and the one I use most often, is: Te llego un burro. (I don't understand) Also, me le meta la pata (Don't let the cat out of the bag).
I have also come to realize, that beyond their welcoming warm personalities, the Nicaraguans I have met, are tricksters. They love to tell you lies and see you squirm, and then let you know they were joking. I feel very at home here.



On our way to work, we had to stop at the Puente de San Gabriel. It has been raining hard for the past few days, and now the little stream has over taken the bridge. We got out, let the kids take a look at the rushing river, and then started helping them get rocks to divert the water off the bridge. Between the 22 of us, and the 8 local community members, we were able to make the bridge passable. Our kids worked really hard, side by side with the men and boys of San Gregorio. In an hour and a half of work, we could actually see that we made a positive impact, and that felt really good.
This picture is of Jon, we helped him and his family put the rocks in place on the bridge.
We were still unable to work for the day, because although the stream had been diverted for now, if it rained anymore, it could flood again and we would be stuck on the wrong side.
After 'work' we went to a swimming hole in San Rafael. It felt amazing. The water was rushing because of all the rain. It felt so good to put my feet on a rock and let the river rush across my whole body. The only downside of the day was that I forgot to take off my watch, and its broken. After not using a watch for four years, I have become accustomed to always having access to the time. And after three weeks I hadn't lost it. Oh well.
This picture is of Fernando at the river we swam in. He´s so awesome!
Its finally sunny this afternoon, and it feels really good, in spite of the exhaustion I feel right now after swimming.
Oh yes, I was able to watch the entire World Cup final, what an amazing match. And Maggie, you were right, Holland was the worst, what a bunch of cheap shotters, they were so much like the Italians from four years ago, it felt so good to see Iniestra snap that ball out of the air and into the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment