Friday, July 27, 2012

Waves and waves

Phew! I made it, another trip with VISIONS survived. I have had an up and down past few days. Two days ago we bid our summer participants farewell. I began the second part of my trip travelling. Yesterday in an Internet Cafe I had my hippy bag stolen. The thing that added a little extra salt on the wound was that the place had video monitors and captured the event on tape. I watched the man come sit at the computer stall next to me. I watched him wait and wait until just the moment to grab my bag which was sitting by my side.

There was nothing of any real value in my bag, but a few sentimental pieces, like my journal from the past two year (I only had one page left!!) and my cribbage board that has accompanied me on all my travels in my adult life. I guess losing Jitterbug Perfume wasn´t so bad, but now how will I find out what happened to Alobar.

Getting robbed is just a difficult emotional reaction to process. The largest part of my reaction is feeling so stupid for being so careless. I bounced out of it today. I decided to take a bus to Parque Carolina in downtown Quito. Quito! What an amazing city. I was blown away with how much it reminded me of Logan, nothing really about the city, but the green mountains that surround the city.

I made it to the Parque, asking a few locals along the way. I ran (/slowly jogged) for a bit, and then just walked and enjoyed people watching. The park is enormous and full of life. I stopped and watched some futsol soccer matches. I passed a basketball court and asked to shoot around, that is probably what tipped my energy from downer to happy.

I also had a thought today. One of the things that i lost were my sunglasses. Consequently, as I have been out walking the streets I have been squinting. I wonder if at times I trick myself into feeling in a worse mood then I actually am. What if my face is confusing my sunny squint with a nasty scowl?

The point is, I had a rough day, the but the park and energy of Quito has brought me back to a good place. Tonight I am taking a red eye bus for the coast, and you better believe I am going to take on surfing again!! Wish me luck!!

Galapagos pictures on the way, what a crazy other wordly place, the marine iguanas blew my mind, and so did snorkeling. Snorkeling had life changing impacts which I will have to wait for another day to explain!

My group, Ecuador 2012

1 comment:

  1. I want to hear about snorkeling! and the Galapagos! Donde esta las fotos?? Entonces, lamarme esta fin de semana. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete